Tense rescue operation after Indian family finds deadly viper snake in kitchen
A family in the village of Todgaon near Ahmednagar in western India was preparing to make dinner on the evening of July 5 when they found an unwelcome visitor: a deadly Russell’s viper.
Panicked, they called Wildlife Rescue Society and a team led by Akash Jadhav arrived at the village to rescue the snake.
Unverving footage shows the snake tucked into a corner behind a cooking gas cylinder. As the snake had coiled itself, Akash had to poke the dangerous reptile with a stick. After a few tries, the viper relented and came out from the corner. Akash then coaxed the viper into a bag.
The highly venomous snake was later released deep in a nearby forest.
Akash said: “The snake looked lethargic, but I knew it could still strike fast, so tried to keep a safe distance. This was a snake that could have done damage, and there were a few tense moments during the rescue.”
According to a recent study, an estimated 1.2 million people have died from snake bites in India in the past 20 years.
Russell’s vipers, along with kraits and cobras were responsible for most deaths.