How teenager survived fatal crash near Raglan that killed his best mate

Cameron Brydon survived a crash that killed his best mate due to the care of others and a few miracles, his family says. Brydon, 17, was a passenger in a vehicle that crashed on December 1, 2019, in Raglan. The driver of the car, Cameron’s best friend, died in the crash and another friend was left with multiple injuries.SUPPLIED/Auckland Rescue Helicopter TrustThe Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter helped save Cameron Brydon’s life after a crash near Raglan, which his best friend died in. Cameron was asleep at the time of the crash and the first thing he remembers is waking up from a coma four days later, the Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust said in a newly-published report on the incident. READ MORE: * Woman and teenager serious, man critical after double-fatal crash near Tokoroa * Four fatal crashes in four days on Waikato roads * Woman injured after falling from horse that bolted When the Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter first got to Cameron, Doctor Alana Harper, who was by Cameron’s side in the helicopter, said she remembers his blood pressure was so low it was unrecordable, and he looked grey. “There’s a certain point where a patient looks like they may not make it. “Cameron was at that point.” He was given blood and Harper said it was amazing seeing what that blood did for him. “His blood pressure improved, he got a bit of colour back, and he became less agitated.” Cameron’s mum Mel said there were many extraordinary circumstances along the way, including it being lucky there was another vehicle behind the car at the time it crashed. “It was a remote location where the car left the road. Apart from tyre marks and a broken tree branch, there was no visible sign of the car from the road. It could have taken hours to find them.” In addition to internal bleeding and a fractured neck which needed surgery and a titanium plate to stabilise it, Cameron suffered multiple broken ribs, a collapsed lung, kidney and liver damage, and his spleen needed to be removed. He spent four days in Waikato Hospital’s Intensive Care and High Dependency units and after ten days he walked out of Waikato Hospital unaided. While he was in hospital his nana, Margaret, died, which was a big loss for him on top of his best friend dying in the crash. “People often forget about the emotional and psychological effects of trauma,” Harper said. “The impacts of this can take a very long time to heal.”Stuff
Read More

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button